Other Posts

Is My House Making Me Sick? 9 Signs You Need a Deep Clean.

Are you sneezing and coughing, even though you know you don’t have a cold?

Do you find yourself feeling sick when you’re in your house but okay at other people’s homes or work?

If so, your home might be in need of a deep clean.

In this article, we’ll go over the signs that your house needs a deep clean. We’ll help you answer the question, “Is my house making me sick?”

Read on for valuable information.

You Notice Something Called “Sick Building Syndrome”

Sick building syndrome is a real thing, even if it sounds made up. It’s a result of your home or office making you feel sick because of your exposure to toxins within it for too long.

This syndrome gives you a very specific list of symptoms. They include a stuffy nose, nasal irritation, eye irritation, a sore throat, a rash and a feeling that you’re not yourself. Some people might describe it as feeling as though you’re in a fog, or you’re acting “spacey.”

These symptoms alone aren’t enough to make a convincing case for sick building syndrome. You’ll also need to notice that the symptoms tend to go away one to two hours after you’ve left it. If you’re always irritated and hoarse at home but not at work, chances are your home needs a deep clean.

You’ve Noticed Mould

100% of homes have mould. With that said, you don’t need to be afraid of all types of mould, but some can make you ill, so it is important to address a problem the moment you see it.

If you have more than a simple patch of mould that you can get rid of yourself, it’s time to call someone to come help you deep clean your home.

If you have mould in your home, you may notice your skin tingling, your eyes watering more than normal, or that you need your asthma inhaler more often. You may also cough more than usual.

You may have mould in your home if you notice your chimney smelling odd or you have wallpaper that has started to bubble up.

In the event you’ve had flooding in your home, either due to a natural disaster or a pipe leak, you should also have your home deep cleaned. This is because mould can form in locations you may not even be aware of. Therefore, it is important that someone with experience can check out the mould.

If Your Home is Older and Hasn’t Had a Deep Clean in a While

Older homes pose risks that many newer homes don’t. This is because many materials used in building old homes are no longer used today. In some cases, they’re no longer allowed at all.

If your home was built before the 1980s, you may have asbestos in your home. Asbestos can make you seriously ill and can contribute to cancer or lung disease.

Builders used asbestos during the 20th century to help insulate homes. Now, we know that it can be toxic if inhaled in large doses. You won’t be able to tell if you have asbestos only by looking for it, you’ll have to have a professional come and identify it. If you need asbestos removed, you can schedule a deep clean or call a professional.

Many homes built before the 1980s also contain lead paint. This is toxic as well, so you should be careful not to expose your family and pets to it. If you think you have lead in your paint, have a professional come and look at it. A simple deep clean might solve this problem for you. If not, a cleaning professional can help you find a solution.

Your Home Has Allergens

If you have water damage of any kind or live with a pet, you can develop issues related to allergens. Allergens can cause you to feel as though you have the flu and can make you feel generally unwell. You should always wrap your mattress in a cover that protects against allergies. Additionally, you should ensure that you clean up after your pets and children to make sure no spills or messes lead to long-term issues.

Having your home deep cleaned can help mitigate problems with allergens, and make your home feel much fresher.

You Feel Sick with the Heater or Air Conditioning On

If you’ve had the air conditioner on for a while and start to feel sick, or the heater seems to make you sneeze and cough, you may need someone to come out and check on them. There can be mould and other toxins living in them, which can, in turn, make you feel ill. Making sure you get them serviced on a regular basis is an important aspect of homeownership. If you don’t believe they are clean, you should contact someone who can help you.

What to Do If You’re Asking “Is My House Making Me Sick”

If you’ve asked yourself, “Is my house making me sick?” and believe it likely it, it is time to contact a professional. While you can deep clean your house yourself, some jobs need someone with a bit more know-how than you might be capable of. In some situations, a non-professional is unable to recognise the problem. Instead, you’ll need someone who understands such problems and how to rid you of them.

Additionally, if you’re moving into an older home, it is wise to have your house cleaned professionally before you do so.

For more information on deep cleaning, or to schedule one, visit our website.